Thursday, December 22, 2011

Being in the "Christmas spirit/mood"

As the holiday season(s) approach...starting at Thanksgiving...people begin to get "in the spirit" or maybe they don't.  It's not uncommon for some people to say:   "man, it's Thanksgiving already?"  "It's November already?"  "Christmas is only a month away??"  "It just doesn't feel like Christmas time."  "I'm just not in the Christmas spirit."  "I'm not really in the Christmas mood."  And it's not that they don't like Christmas or Thanksgiving; in fact it may be their favorite season(s).  So, why are they feeling this way?  And how does one get in the "mood" or "spirit"?  And while we're at it; some of you may be asking..."what the heck are you talking about?  and what the heck is the "spirit and mood" you're talking about?Well...
Perhaps, they feel unprepared ; maybe they're just so busy, they haven't had time to spend time baking and getting presents, and spend time with family.  Maybe they're so busy, they haven't had time to sit down and reflect on the holiday season, and take time to take it all in, to cherish it.  Maybe they've lost loved ones, and they just can't focus on the holidays, maybe it hurts too much?  Perhaps, the weather isn't cold enough outside; maybe it just (literally) doesn't feel like Thanksgiving/Christmas time?  Maybe you haven't cooked enough holiday foods/treats, spent enough time with family, done enough "holiday activities"?  Maybe you have no idea why you're feeling this way.  Well, let's see...what is this "spirit" I'm talking about anyways?  When Christmas time comes, people tend to be happier, in a better mood.  They get happy about all the Christmas music, they get excited about decorating their houses for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  They get this happy feeling inside of them, they are "ready" for the holidays; they are in said in "holiday spirit"; they have this feeling about them. 
And how, you may be asking, does one get in this mood if they aren't already.  Do they sing lots of Christmas songs and wear awesome Christmas sweaters?  Do they dive into the Bible and read more of the Christmas story?  Do the spend time reflecting and praying?  Do they spend more time with family?  Do they go shopping ahead of time so they don't feel rushed, thus they feel more prepared, thus it puts them in the Christmas mood? 
Well, I have provided a lot of possible answers to these stated question.  But, I don't have an exact answer.  I have just been hearing people say they aren't in the Christmas mood; they just aren't feeling like it should be Christmas time.  And I'm with them.  And getting more in the Christmas mood as I read the Christmas story again and listen to Christmas music.  I love Christmas, but for some reason it just doesn't seem like it's time for Christmas.  I mean, they are decorations in my house; the tree is decorated, and there are presents under the tree.  I'm on Christmas Break from school.  I've been to Christmas parties.  I have been slacking on my Christmas shopping and haven't listened to as much Christmas music as I'd lack.  And the weather isn't all that cold for this time of year.  I have been praying that this Christmas season, we would be more focused on Christ, family, and serving, and much less about all the presents we can gather.  Because it IS about Christ, period.  We get so caught up in everything else.  But, that's another blog post for another time ;). 
So, I can't clearly define for you the Christmas spirit.  I can't definitely tell you why people don't feel in the spirit, or definitely how we remedy this.  I would like to be able to.  I merely just wanted to write out my thoughts.  Perhaps you (whoever you may be, if anyone is reading this), would like to share your thoughts.

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment